The Script Contest – About the 3rd edition
Prepare your scripts for a new edition of The Script Contest. Call for entries starting on November 15th.
The Script Contest, organized by ADFR, aims to support the development of the Romanian cinema and the screenplays that deserve to get on the big screen. It is the only contest of short film scripts in Romania.
The first edition had two winning screenplays, a comedy and a thriller – Iulia D. Popa (May He Rest in Peace), and Vlad Ghinea (Thirst). Portraits of a Disappearing World was the theme of the second edition, and the winner was Alexandra Suciu (The Polar Bears’ Journey Through the Desert). The winning films of the first edition are already in the festival circuit, and The Polar Bears’ Journey Through the Desert is in pre-production.
So far, the members of the jury have been Ana Ularu (actress), Iulia Rugină (director), Florin Lăzărescu (screenwriter), Massimiliano Nardulli (programmer), Laura Muşat (producer), Alexandra Safriuc (screenwriter / Project Manager on SH Masterclasses / ShortsUp Artistic Director) and Paul Negoescu (director).
The Script Contest returns this year with a new concept, a bigger, better, bolder one. For the first time, outside the there jury members, there will also be a pre-selection board which will decide the nine final scripts.
The pre-selection board consists of Laura Mușat (producer / founder of ADFR / Project Manager on TSC) and Alexandra Safriuc (screenwriter / Project Manager on SH Masterclasses / ShortsUp Artistic Director). The jury members will be announced every two weeks, until the end of the year.
The stages of the competition will be as follows:
- The nine selected finalists will have one-on-one meetings with the jury members who will offer them feedback on the screenplays so they can further improve them.
- Following these meetings, the finalists will have 10 days to develop their scripts taking into account the advice they have received from the jury.
- At the end of the 10 days, the finalists will submit the improved versions of their scripts, which will be reviewed by the members of the jury; each screenplay will get a grade.
- The next step is the PITCHin’ Days, a pitch where finalists will present their scripts to the jury and to an audience; each member of the jury will grade each script, and the public will be encouraged to ask questions about them.
- The average between the script grade and the pitch grade makes the final grade.
The prize consists of 500EUR and the production of the film. The prize money will be offered only to those screenwriters who won’t assume the role of director.
Entries for The Script Contest open on Thursday, November 15th, 2018 and end on January 6th, 2019. This year, entries will be made through the filmfreeway platform, and the entry fee is 10EUR. Besides submitting the screenplay, the participants have to submit a synopsis as well.
On January 21st, 2019 the 9 finalists will be announced on The Script Contest Facebook Page, and on March 1st, 2019 there will be announced the winner of the contest.
Entries open on November 15th, 2018.
For more information, follow The Script Contest Facebook Page and The Script Contest website.